Time Travel Movies
- Unusual Travel Destinations
Time travel movies tell stories about that invisible constant companion of ours we would very much love to tame - time.
They are packed with mind boggling ideas and head-spinning paradoxes.
Hey, what could be weirder than a trip to the past or future and back
again! So get ready for some mental workout.
Personally I like to think of them as virtual time travel machines,
as it were, which can take us on various journeys and show us different
outcomes of different possibilities and choices. They keep us on the
edge of our seats as we try to guess which alternate history will unfold before our eyes.
What kind of time travel adventures and timescapes are there to choose from?
- The past is always an exciting place to start whether you visit the Age of the Reptiles or the Wild West or the grandmas' time.
In some time travel movies explorers and unintentional travelers jump back in time and accidentally change something along the way. When they come back they usually find themselves in a completely different future than the one they started from, which is not always a good thing. - Back to the Future, A Sound of Thunder, A.P.E.X.
Also, you can join time travelers as they embark on a mission to change
the future by upsetting the course of events in the past! They know
exactly where they're headed and what events to tweak. But what is they
say about the best-laid plans? - The Terminator
- The future is a great spot if you need a place
to hide or if you struggle with insatiable curiosity and want to find
out what the world would look like in the future. - Time After Time, The Time Travelers
- You can explore stories about people "frozen in time" who "wake up" in a distant future after they were, usually as part of some science project, put on ice in the past. - Sleeper
- If you do not want to travel far you can explore one day over and over again in an endless loop. Also, there are movies about other time phenomenon as well where characters send information from the future to the past and instantly experience the effects. - 12:01, Frequency
- With all these goings back and forth it stands to reason to
expect that sooner or later some shady characters will try to exploit
time travel to their nefarious purposes. And sure enough, whenever these
time pirates raise their ugly head you can expect to see the guardians of time-line step in so as to forestall a disaster in the making. - Timecop
Time travel movies usually blend several of these themes and
their variations. Filmmakers often play with the idea of how travelers
from the past might react when upon finding themselves in the future (Time After Time) or how the past would look to travelers from a far future (Star Trek: Voyage Home).
And, of course, how people of a certain time period would react to the
customs of another era. The ensuing misunderstandings are often a cause
of much hilarity.
List of time travel movies
- I'll Never Forget You
- Journey to the Beginning of Time
- The Time Machine
- Journey to the Center of Time
- La Jetee
- The Time Travelers
- Escape from the Planet of the Apes
- Idaho Transfer
- Time After Time
- Time Travelers
- Back to the Future
- Back to the Future Part II
- Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
- The Philadelphia Experiment
- Flight of the Navigator
- The Final Countdown
- The Terminator
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
- 12 Monkeys
- Back to the Future Part III
- Star Trek: First Contact
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- Déja Vu
- Love Story 2050
- A Sound of Thunder
- Southland Tales
- Star Trek
- The Time Machine
- 2009 Lost Memories
Beam Me from Time Travel Movies to the Science Fiction Movie Themes
Beam Me Home to Explore Science Fiction Movies Homepage
Like This Page?
Please Pay It Forward And Spread the Word
Share Explore-Science-Fiction-Movies.com with your friends!